Spiritual Reflections

These posts are my daily reflections of what I think about during my journey through life. They are my perspectives on life and the problems I face. I hope they cause others to reflect on their journey, and maybe even give them some help during their adventure of life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

Please note: the content of these postings are my own position and thinking, and do not necessarily represent the position of any organization that I am associated with.

Saturday, June 05, 2004

God is Trustworthy


Life can be a scary thing. We just never know what is around the corner. Will we get sick? Will we be badly hurt in a car accident? Will something happen to a family member? If I die, then what? Life is full of questions, worries and fears. The joy of being a Christian is that I can trust in God no matter what happens! It does not mean that unpleasant things will not happen, but it does mean that I can believe that there is a good purpose behind them. For example, take the story of Job in the Bible; he lost everything except his life and his wife. One day he was the wealthiest man in the region, and the next day everything is gone, and he was covered with skin sores. If anyone had the right to curse God, it was Job.
However, he did not curse God, for he knew that God loved him, and whatever was happening to him had a reason. He was not aware that he was the victim of a universal war between God and Satan. He just trusted God. Job said, “Though he slays me, yet will I hope in him” (Job 1315). It is true that Job wanted to know why, but he could trust God even if he did not understand his dismal situation. In fact, God never did tell him. We may never know why apparently bad things happen to us.
One thing we can count on is that we can trust God and his goodness. He always does the right thing. We never need to fear his intentions toward us. As the song writer David wrote, “Have no fear of God” (Psalm 55:19). Jesus Christ also told us, “Do not be afraid” (Matthew 28:10). It is not God who wishes to destroy us. It is Satan and the powers of darkness. Now, if you are one of Satan’s agents, then you do need to fear the wrath of God. If you are a seeker after God and desire to do what is right, you will have his protection and love. As the missionary Paul wrote, “We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28).
This is the essence of faith; trusting God when things get tough. It’s easy to have a strong faith when things are going well for you, but when life gets tough that’s when true faith surfaces. We say, “I will trust God no matter what comes my way.” The bottom line is who’s side are you on; the side of good and God, or the side of evil and Satan. Today, choose who you will serve. If we choose God, we can say as the song writer David said in the Bible, “I call to God, and the Lord saves me” (Psalm 55:16).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home